Passed in 1966, the National Historic Preservation Act established the National Register of Historic Places. This is the official list of districts, sites, buildings or structures and objects which are worthy of preservation.
The National Register is administrated by the National park Service, an agency of the Department of the Interior. The Park Service helps individual property owners and interested groups identify and protect these historic sites. There are 1,500 sites in Maryland listed on the Registry. Ninety five of those are found in Frederick County. Only one is located in our area.
In 1998, the Peter of P. Grossnickel Farm was added to the Registry. Its historical significance is in the architecture and engineering and distinguished by the collection of out buildings. It is located on the tract of land known as “Six Daughters” purchased by Bernhard Grossnickel. The Grossnickel family was among the early German families who settled in the area in the mid 19th century. The date of construction is listed as between 1840-1850.
You can read the entire survey here and view the Maryland Historical Trust page about the property here.