From The Valley Register, 7 December, 1984. The article has been edited for clarity.
It is likely that Myersville is named after a Stottlemyer -- probably the immigrant David Stadelmayer, who was born in Munich, Germany, 11 August, 1732. He arrived here in 1750. He died in February 1791.
David Stadelmayer is thought to have been the first Stottlemyer to arrive in what would become America. He came aboard the ship Patience, whose captain was Hugh Steele, having sailed from Rotterdam, The Netherlands, to Cowes, Isle of Wight, England, and then on to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in the English Colonies. An Oath of Allegiance was taken upon disembarking at the Philadelphia Courthouse on Saturday, 11 August, 1750, which was preserved in official documents: "Present: Thomas Lawrence, Esq., Mayor. The foreigners whose Names are underwritten, imported in the ship Patience, Capt. Hugh Steel, from Rotterdam, but last from Cowes in England, did this day take and subscribe the usual Qualifications. 124 By List. 266 Freights. ...David Stadelmayer..."
The 1910 History of Frederick County Maryland by T. J. C. Williams, explores the Stottlemyer ancestry, beginning with Henry F. C. Stottlemyer then regressing to his great-grandfather David, the immigrant. Afterward, the text describes David Stottlemyer, Jr., grandfather of Henry, and finally Henry's father, Daniel Stottlemyer.
"Henry F. C. Stottlemyer, a retired farmer residing in Catoctin District, Frederick County, Md., one mile northeast of Wolfsville, son of Daniel and Johanna (Recher) Stottlemyer, both deceased, was born on that part of the old Stottlemyer homestead on which he now resides, April 22, 1842.
"David Stottlemyer, great-grandfather of Henry F. C. Stottlemyer, who was born and educated in Munich, Germany, came to America in early manhood and settled in the southwestern part of the Middletown Valley. He was one of the early settlers of that section of Maryland where the remainder of his life was spent. He married and had five children among whom was a son named David.
"David Stottlemyer Jr., son of David and Margaret Stottlemyer, grandfather of Henry F. C. Stottlemyer, was born and grew up on a farm near Middletown, Md. He was a farmer and miller, and owned the property now known as the Keller Mill farm, near Middletown. Mr. Stottlemyer afterwards sold this place and bought a large tract of farm and timber land near Wolfsville, Md., where he spent the rest of his life. He was successful both as a farmer and as a miller, and was highly respected as a citizen. David Stottlemyer, Jr., was married to Margaret Maugruter. Of their eight children six reached adult age: 1. and 2. Jason and John, twins, both deceased; 3. David, deceased; 4. Daniel; 5. Joseph, deceased; 6. Margaret, deceased, married to the late George Lizer. Mr. Stottlemyer and his wife were members of the Reformed Church.
"The late Daniel Stottlemyer, father of Henry F. C. Stottlemyer, was born in September 1796, on a farm in the Middletown Valley, northwest of Middletown. He grew up on his father's farm, and remained on the home place until his father died when he inherited the part of the homestead now owned by his son, Henry. Mr. Stottlemyer made many improvements on the property and afterwards bought a farm of 60 acres, now the property of Daniel Harshman. This place also he improved, putting up a dwelling, a barn and all other necessary buildings. Some time later, he purchased 56 acres of farm and timber land, making his holding to consist of 300 acres. He was a skillful farmer and improved all the land that came under his care. His toil and patient care were richly rewarded. Mr. Stottlemyer was a Democrat, highly esteemed as a business man, and citizen. Daniel Stottlemyer was married to Johanna, daughter of John and ______ Recher. Of their thirteen children, ten reached maturity: 1. Jonathan, a farmer of Washington County, Md.; 2. Joseph, deceased, a farmer of Catoctin District, Frederick County, Md.; 3. Rosanna, widow of Daniel Biser; 4. Elias R., a retired farmer of Cavetown, Washington County, Md.; 5. Frederick, a retired farmer of Wolfsville, Md.; 6. Leah, deceased, married to the late Silas Buhrman; 7. Mary E., deceased, married to William Troxell, of Illinois; 8. Margaret A.R., widow of Lawson Palmer of Easton, Pa; 9. Lydia, deceased, married to the late William Hauver; 10. Henry F. C.
"Mr. Stottlemyer was a member of the German Baptist Church. His wife held membership in the Reformed Church. Mr. Stottlemyer died on April 21, 1874; his wife on July 5, 1895.
"Henry F. C. Stottlemyer was educated in the public schools of Catoctin District. He remained on the home place and after his father's death inherited the farm he now owns as his share of the estate. This farm, the old Stottlemyer homestead, is a valuable property. It is beautifully situated on the Foxville road, one mile northeast of Wolfsville. Mr. Stottlemyer has greatly improved the place. He remodeled the dwelling, added a second story, built a fine bank barn, and put up all the necessary farm buildings. His well-merited success is due to his faithful labor, and constant care. He is a Democrat, interested in county affairs, and is well-known and highly esteemed in the district.
"Henry F. C. Stottlemyer was married to Martha E., daughter of William B. and Elizabeth (Fox) Brown, whose father was a prominent farmer residing near Foxville. They have four children; 1. Worth B., teller in the Bank of Waynesboro, Waynesboro, Pa., and Treasurer of the Chambersburg, Greencastle, and Waynesboro Street Railway Company, Waynesboro, Pa.; 2. Claud U., General Manager for the Geiser Manufacturing Company at Louisville, Ky.; 3. Olga D., at home; 4. Irma M., at home. Mr. Stottlemyer is a member of the Reformed Church in Wolfsville, and is a liberal contributor to both church and Sunday School. He has served the congregation as deacon, and is now an elder and the Superindendent of the Sunday School."
(It is believed that the “Foxville Road," mentioned in the second to last paragraph, is today's Stottlemyer Road that leads to Foxville.)
It was in the geographic area of Middletown/Myersville/Wolfsville that the Stottlemyer mills, operated first by David & Maria Stadelmayer, and then by their children were situated. In fact, the Point Rock Mill's last owner was Marcellus Duvall whose wife, Cornelia Stottlemyer Duvall, was the great-granddaughter of our George Stottlemyer, son of David Stadelmayer the immigrant."